Saturday, August 31, 2013

Divide and conquer: gathered skirt

Sometimes I fall very hard for a fabric or print, only to have it languish in a drawer because I don't know how to do it justice. This printed silk took about a year to become a garment. In the end, I settled on just about the simplest project for it: a gathered skirt.


On the bolt this print looked amazing, but the crosswise bands of neon zig-zags repeat every 20 cm or so, the perfect distance to be awkward just about any way you place them on a human. Breaking up this repetition was the only solution to make something wearable. I ended up cutting the waistband from it for a pop of contrast, and on the skirt panels the lengthwise zig-zags just peep out cheekily when I walk. The result is very cheerful indeed - but I think dressing this print down is easier in skirt form than it would be in a dress.

The skirt is just an interfaced waistband, two gathered rectangles, a side zip and some lining I had lying around. The the hem is topstiched and seam allowances are serged, so all in all it was a very quick make. As loud as the print is, this skirt it surprisingly easy to pair with tops, since it has so many colours in it. Here I am wearing it with another Grainline Tiny Pocket tank, in a lightweight navy silk crepe this time.


This one actually has a tiny pocket.



6 comments:

  1. The top and skirt go really well together! I really like the print but I have to agree that it would be a little too much for a dress. Often with those really eye catching prints, having them up around your face is too intense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely, testing out different layouts was one time my dress form came in very handy!

      Delete
  2. Great skirt! I also often fall for a fabric not knowing how to use it. I guess that's what we sewaholics do :) Anyway, I think your skirt can be matched well with different tops giving it a new look each time. Love your blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful fabric! I think I would have had to buy it too, but I doubt I'd have made something as wearable as you did! It looks like a Kaffe Fassett quilt from a distance and the green triangles are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love Fassett for his knitting designs, what a cool connection to make :) There is always that deep breath when cutting into fabric you love, but this time I was just glad to finally get some use out of it.

      Delete

Don't be shy!