Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Smelling the roses: Pleated silk blouse

A while ago I read Susan Sontag's bodily self portrait in list form, where she calls herself a 'frileuse'. This has been a new favourite word, describes me to a t: I get cold very easily, and live for hot summers. To the horror of profuse sweaters around me, I love being outside on these muggy days here in New Jersey. On lazy days I search for sunny spots to curl up in. I'm really trying to soak up these last weeks of summer here,  although I've been told autumn is spectacular around these parts. So here's another top that has been super comfortable in this weather, and that before my sewing days I probably would not have afforded.



I made up Burda's 09/2011 Sleeveless blouse #128 in a lightweight silk. This is a pretty popular pattern, so I guess I was kind of late to the party, but most projects I've seen made up are in slightly heavier weight fabrics. Despite the inherent frustrations with the slippery stuff, I think the silk was a happy pairing since there is a bit of bulk in the pleats and around the collar, so choosing something light works well. Given the sheerness of the fabric, I folded the facings in to make a topstitched button band instead of just finishing the edges. I also opted for french seams, such a sweet detail.



The buttons on this blouse are vintage mother of pearl from Buttonmania, an amazing shop in Melbourne. If you are around there and don't know it, please go have a look! The shopkeeper is really passionate about buttons and will show you amazing historical pieces. Also a great find if you need something custom covered. 


1 comment:

  1. This is really lovely! The lightweight fabric has totally transformed this pattern. It's not one I've taken much interest in before but now I think I'll have to reconsider :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!