Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Fiery Ode to Moss

 Oh, Moss....I feel dirty knowing I've sewn skirts before you....


Dude, I LOVE this skirt. I bought some cotton corduroy for a preppy blazer, and randomly tried out this skirt with the surplus yard or so. Of course, the blazer was a total dud, while this little number is a surprise winner! 


I think the wonders of Grainline's Moss skirt have been sung a gazillian times already: its flattering fit, its wonderful fly zip instructions..I could go on, but will keep it short. The weight of this corduroy is perfect for Moss, and the fiery red goes with much more than I would have thought. I did some extra flat felling and top stitching around yoke and pockets, just because I could!


Here's a scary monster size shot of the front to show a truer colour, and better impression of the wide whaled cord. It's a bargain from Fabric Mart, all sold out in this colour unfortunately, but still available in amazing hunter green here....hard to resist. I opted for a skirt hook instead of a button: the thickness of the waistband layers scared my buttonhole foot into submission. 


On account of that same thickness I serged the waistband facing and then machine stitched it down from the outside (in the ditch, you with me still?), instead of hand stitching the facing seam allowance down. Worked like a charm. I've basically not taken this skirt off since I've made it. I think this Grainline pattern will be as much a tried and true for me as the tiny pocket tank. I've already got some fabric ideas for future renditions. Next up: Archer shirt!

6 comments:

  1. ein sehr hübscher Rock! Viel Freude damit :-)
    Grüße, leokadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke! (That just exhausted my German...)

      Delete
  2. Wow! That colour is to die for! It looks fantastic with the blue shirt, and what's not to love about a skirt with a fly?! Truly fantastic! I've never made anything from a Grainline pattern, but I think you may have given me the push to do so. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I cannot recommend their patterns highly enough. Also a skirt like this is really great for using up remnants, it's quite mini!

      Delete
  3. Your version is gorgeous! Love the color. I really think that the Moss pattern is perfect. I'm officially obsessed with it and need a few more in my closet - including a corduroy version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know how she does it, but somehow the skirt just FITS. Very addictive.

      Delete

Don't be shy!