This coat has caused a bit of a schism in the household. This was my first winter coat, I made it last year and I happen to like it VERY much. I also happen to be the person who spent hours matching plaid. Causally related? Perhaps. But could my judgment really be that clouded?
Ok, so the vintage red leather buttons may be a bit ... exuberant. They may match the red leather under collar and lining a bit too closely. Is that really reason enough to dub this my 'clown coat'?!
This coat is from a vintage 1960s pattern, Simplicity 6682. I made the shorter length. The instructions on this pattern were excellent, and the illustrations saved me when the time came to attach the lining. I also referred to my copy of 'Tailoring: The Classic Guide to Sewing the Perfect Jacket' a lot. This book is so interesting, even if some of the more involved techniques will never make it into my sewing life. Turns out I am strictly a fusible interfacing kind of girl.
When I first tried on my coat mid-process, I was very disappointed with the fit: rather potatosackish. But then I read on in my instructions and had a little lightbulb moment - shoulder pads! It only makes sense for a 60s coat in weighty wool. The idea took a bit of getting used to, but I've fully come round to these things. Besides giving this coat the intended silhouette, they make the sleeve caps sit nicely in the armholes as well. Thanks pads.
See, I wear it open and I totally do not look like a character from Clueless. I look like an Elegant Woman I tell you. [This is where the internet comes out and rules in my favour people].
I wear this coat quite a bit at the moment, especially with this scarf I knitted last Spring. It's Jared Flood's Cinder pattern, if you're into knitting you can read more about my version here.
I have another coat in the works, a bit more subdued this time, but definitely sticking to the early sixties fit and style!