Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Matchy matchy

This coat has caused a bit of a schism in the household. This was my first winter coat, I made it last year and I happen to like it VERY much. I also happen to be the person who spent hours matching plaid. Causally related? Perhaps. But could my judgment really be that clouded?


Ok, so the vintage red leather buttons may be a bit ... exuberant. They may match the red leather under collar and lining a bit too closely. Is that really reason enough to dub this my 'clown coat'?!


This coat is from a vintage 1960s pattern, Simplicity 6682. I made the shorter length. The instructions on this pattern were excellent, and the illustrations saved me when the time came to attach the lining. I also referred to my copy of 'Tailoring: The Classic Guide to Sewing the Perfect Jacket' a lot. This book is so interesting, even if some of the more involved techniques will never make it into my sewing life. Turns out I am strictly a fusible interfacing kind of girl. 


When I first tried on my coat mid-process, I was very disappointed with the fit: rather potatosackish. But then I read on in my instructions and had a little lightbulb moment - shoulder pads! It only makes sense for a 60s coat in weighty wool. The idea took a bit of getting used to, but I've fully come round to these things. Besides giving this coat the intended silhouette, they make the sleeve caps sit nicely in the armholes as well. Thanks pads. 


See, I wear it open and I totally do not look like a character from Clueless. I look like an Elegant Woman I tell you. [This is where the internet comes out and rules in my favour people].


I wear this coat quite a bit at the moment, especially with this scarf I knitted last Spring. It's Jared Flood's Cinder pattern, if you're into knitting you can read more about my version here.


I have another coat in the works, a bit more subdued this time, but definitely sticking to the early sixties fit and style!

13 comments:

  1. I love it! And I'm very impressed you made a coat. The fabric and shape are perfect. Did you make the buttonholes yourself? That always puts me off outerwear sewing...

    My husband never likes anything I make either, especially in the planning stages. I don't think they really get it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha yes I think sometimes it's hard to convey the idea of the end product! It always looks really good in my head :)

      I did make the buttonholes, it did a few test runs and it wasn't too bad, but on my next coat I think I will use those large blind snaps and just sew on decorative buttons. I used to scoff at this in rtw coats, but now I think in the long run it's a more stable solution, and saves so much stress!

      Delete
  2. Very nice coat!! The red details: perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad to have an ally on this :)

      Delete
  3. So cute! I don't think the buttons are too exuberant at all- I think they pair perfectly with your fabric and make for a really fun coat :)

    Isn't it funny how seemingly small details (e.g. shoulder pads) can make or break a project?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Yeah the pads really surprised me, but in a good way.

      I enjoy scouring Etsy for pretty vintage buttons, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes a good contrast :) these leather ones are so well made, they deserve to be noticed.

      Delete
  4. Love your cheery coat! With a shape so clean you can get away with a fun print and buttons.

    In fact I've just stalked eBay for the same pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That was my feeling too, but I am still toying with the option of changing the buttons to black.

      I'd love to see how this pattern works out for others, I feel I might return to it. The trench version on the envelope is very tempting!

      Delete
  5. Oh! I love the buttons! They give the coat a completely unique (and very 60's) vibe! I wish I could wear coats here because then I would definitely be making one very much like yours (maybe with even bigger buttons...). And the under collar (is that a word or am I just making things up?) gives it a great pop of colour! It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I really love that era as well, I can' wait to finish my second 60s coat. Does it rain a lot where you are? A trench is still a coat maybe?

      Delete
  6. I think it's darling! The great part about sewing is that we can make whatever the hell we want and wear it proudly!! Your Cinder is gorgeous. I'm obsessed with Brooklyn Tweed anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps! I made this Cinder as a gift, but am wearing it myself constantly!! It's very heavy and warm. It's a lovely pattern for a scarf, I definitely have a few more BT projects in the (endless) queue...

      Delete
  7. I love this coat! What's not to like?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!